As a Palm guy, I've been thinking lately about how I can use my Sony Clié as a blogging tool when I'm not here at my Mac pounding away.
After some thought and working with Mac blogging tools like NetNewsWire from Ranchero Software I've started a wishlist of the details I'd want in a perfect blog tool for the Palm. Here they are:
1. A word processing app for the palm with menus or buttons to generate common and custom codes such as links, image tags, bold, italic, etc.
2. Would store your access preferences for at least one blog account, preferably multiple blog accounts, just as mail apps SnapperMail can store info for multiple email accounts.
3. Probably a good idea to make the app password protected in case your Palm is ever lost or stolen.
4. The app should be able to work in offline or online modes; if in online mode, the preferences entered for your blog (username/pw) would let you post directly to the blog server should you have a wired or wireless connection.
5. If in offline mode, the posts would be saved in a hopper of sorts, and posted to your blog via the conduit (Mac or PC) something like how AvantGo or Vindigo can connect to the web and send/post info.
6. Should also have a 'drafts' option which would save posts on the Palm app, which would be great for posts you want to start but need research or maybe further thinking to complete. These draft posts could then be marked for posting by pressing a 'Post' button on screen, or maybe a 'Post' checkbox. Then the post would either be posted immediately (if connected to the net) or sent via conduit as explained above.
7. A really nice option feature would be the ability to subscribe to RSS news feeds from news, blog and other websites that offer this. Currently there are many sites with RSS feeds. In this sense, the app would act more like an email client or Newsgroups reader.
8. If an RSS news feature were added, It would be important to allow the user to grab a news item and include that in a post with the blogger's comment.
9. A nice but optional feature might be a matching (optional) client for the PC and Mac with similar functionality to the Palm app. Or maybe collaboration with existing Mac and PC clients.
10. One last 'option' that would be cool: the ability to preview and grab a JPG picture from a VFS card (SD, MemStick, etc.) and include that in a post. It would be really slick if this feature were integrated into the image tag generator, so that you'd select a JPG image, the size would be automatically entered in the IMG tag and then this could be included in a post. I suppose for direct posting this would be doable, though I don't know if adding the picture post from the card option would get complex in the offline/conduit mode.
If you have anything to add to this list if wishes or you're a Palm developer interested in creating a tool like this for the Palm, drop me a line!